This year’s CEO Forum will focus on public perceptions of science, technology, and research. As leaders of places where more than 110 million people around the world encounter and engage with science and technology each year, chief executives of science and technology centers and museums must keep a pulse on the public’s views on and experience of science. The forum will feature data from recent research and reports, including:
- The recently released Wellcome Global Monitor 2018, the world’s largest study into how people around the world think and feel about science and major health challenges. It surveys over 140,000 people from more than 140 countries.
- Research from the 2015 ScienceCounts National Benchmark Segmentation Survey, including its focus on Public Trust in Scientists, and the recently released 2018 study of scientists’ willingness to engage in science communication from ScienceCounts and the Alan Alda Center for Communicating Science
- Findings and recommendations from the American Academy of Arts and Science’s Public Face of Science initiative, including its 2019 report on Encountering Science in America.
Following presentations from leaders involved with these studies and reports, the chief executives will discuss with each other the implications of these findings for their science-engagement work, and, in the context of ASTC’s new strategic direction, will provide feedback to ASTC for how ASTC can support its member museums in responding to these findings and setting course together for new frontiers and an equitable future.
- Imran Khan, Head of Public Engagement, Wellcome Trust
- Chris Volpe, Executive Director, ScienceCounts
- Erica Kimmerling, Senior Advisor for Science-Engagement Policy and Partnerships, ASTC
For CEOs of science museums and institutions.